Sunday 11 August 2013

A Journey

Quickly exiting my current Gossip Girl episode I grab my bags, unplug my phone from the charger, unplug the charger from the plug socket, hastily wrap up the cords and shove them into my perfectly packed brand new leather bag. I pull on the first pair of socks I find, throw the bag strap over my head and run downstairs, Converses in hand. The tightness in my mom's voice is clear as she repeatedly reminds us that we need to go. I grab a coat at the last minute, my fingers fumbling with the fabric that holds the other coats on the hook. I turn before remembering my phone on the stairs, clumsily holding all my belongings in my hands I run out to the car in my trainer-socked feet.
                      
                            * * *

After a slightly anxious and pretty uncomfortable (I was putting on my Converse in the back seat) 5 minute car journey to the station we rush into the foyer tickets in hand and hurry through the ticket barriers.
We half walk half run to the correct platform only to discover our train pulling away...

I could feel the tenseness in my throat rise and I mentally tell myself to calm down as the station officer confirmed that there was no way of getting on that train.
There would be another train in 25 minutes, he said. As I sat down with my brothers at one of the benches overlooking the track, I sighed with a mix of relief and anxiety.
I stare at my train ticket for a full minute trying to find a time or an indication of our train limitations.  After finding nothing but "Off Peak" I turn to my older brother and ask if the next train is off peak and if it is could we go on it. He tersely replies that he would find out.

Only moments later I realise that I don't have my phone. I search my bag somewhat hopelessly knowing that I had my phone in my hand when I last had it. I burst into tears and tell Luke that I forgot my phone and could I use his. He very unsympathetically texts my mum "Georgia forgot her phone". This isn't remotely pacifying, his lack of empathy only fustrates me.

After Luke leaves to find out the validity of our tickets I ask to borrow Connor's phone. I call my mom and tell her and she says she'll come to the station immediately to give it to me.
I run outside and wait anxiously for my mom to arrive. Fiddling with my ticket I watch all the cars coming past mentally saying "no thats not a blue Ford Focus. Nor is that. Deep breaths Georgia. Its okay, you'll get the train. Don't worry.." I don't see my mom's car until the last moment and I run up to it. Just the sight of my mom's familiar face calms me immensely. She hands me my phone and I run back to wait for the train.

Once on the train I begin to relax. My brothers argue about headphones and other stupid things but I won't go into the details because it will give me a headache. Now I lean my head against the window watching the world go by and listening to Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton. Seems appropriate.

See you at the ticket barrier,
Georgia xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment